Monday, July 09, 2007

Rediscovering My LPs

I can't let my pal Juan have all the fun. Awhile back, he started digitizing songs from some of his old LPs, and I've been a little jealous. Recently, I purchased the Griffin iMic, which allows me to plug my vintage late '80s Onkyo turntable directly into my Mac and record to a digital file. Juan exhorted me to use the ION USB turntable that he uses, and hopefully I can do some compare and contrast with that at some point down the road, but for now I'm finding the quality of the iMic to be alright. Here's one of my first attempts -- a rare B-side double from pre-electronica Everything But The Girl's "Angel" 12-inch (released from the Love Not Money LP). It's two very short songs, the first part entitled "Pigeons in the Attic Room" followed by "Charmless Callous Ways" (one of my favorite titles), that are stripped down to their basics and are a wonderful showcase for Tracey Thorn's vocals.

Pigeons in the Attic Room / Charmless Callous Ways

Again, this is a pretty early attempt -- i.e., I haven't run it through software to tone down the crackling, I haven't found just the right EQ settings, etc. I'm hoping to do more of this as a little lunchtime project as I work away in my little coalmine of an office, so check back for more in the future.