Friday, July 06, 2007

Fireworks in West Seattle

Man, I used to really enjoy the Fourth of July... until I moved to my house in the Delridge neighborhood of West Seattle back in 2003. Every year, we get explosions that go on for hours into the night and turn our usually quiet neighborhood into a war zone akin to the Mogadishu portrayed in Black Hawk Down. I guess this year was no worse than others... save for the fact that we have a baby. Luckily, Lil' F only woke up once. But still, do we have to celebrate our independence and the greatness of our nation by blowing shit up? And aren't fireworks illegal in the city of Seattle? (Yes, they are.)

The West Seattle Blog had a post yesterday about some of the fires that seem to have been caused by fireworks, and I was lucky enough to be the first commenter on the string. Here's what I said:
Down in Delridge, the constant fusillade of explosions lasted for well over an hour, and woke our newborn (which was very frustrating, as it’s a trick to get him drowsy on a quiet night these days). Both my wife and I agreed this will be the last July 4th we stay at home in West Seattle unless something seriously changes in the attitude toward personal fireworks (i.e., a city-sponsored education campaign about the dangers, illegality, and noise pollution that these things cause). I never thought it would come to this, but it looks like I’ve become a grumpy old man. Kids’ll do that to you.

Many folks agreed with me (and Mrs. F had a meeting this morning with several folks who live in West Seattle who also shared this sentiment), but here's the best counterpoint to my grumpy whining:
Agen, you sound like your own baby that woke up. Quit your crying. Is this not America? Land of the free and home of the brave? 1 day a year where people can let loose with fireworks. I’ll light off fireworks for the rest of my existence. I have an idea, maybe you whiners should all move to Canada. How does that sound?
Well, maybe I won't move to Canada, but I'm seriously thinking about vacationing in Victoria next July 4.